Friday, April 2, 2010

Made it!

Rhian, me, Grandma, and Daphne (the cat!) made it to Edmonton.  And I have to say the flight part was fine.  But man, was it stressful deciding what to pack, how we were going to get everything in a vehicle, and to top it off dealing with my sweet kitty.

Turns out, the kitty and the baby were NO PROBLEM.  AT ALL.  I know that isn't likely to happen every time we travel, but I was sure grateful that for our first travel it went well.  What we did run into was nasty, awful service from the airline with my country's name in it.  Seriously, how incompetent do you have to be to send people to 3 different line-ups to check your baggage.   Damn good thing we were there 2 hours early for a domestic flight - we JUST made the plane.

We are here now though, and things are going well.  I'm loving having help with Rhian.  Grandma is so very good with her.  And one night, Grandma slept with her and did the night feedings.  I got 6 hours of sleep in a row.  Heaven.  (Only 6 since I have to pump).  And then the next night, Rhian just slept for 6 hours straight.  From 10 PM 'til 4AM.  So, I went to sleep at 11 and got 5 straight hours.  And then she went ahead and slept until 8 AM.  She isn't napping much during the day - so I'm on my toes alot without a break during the day, but its OK since I'm getting a bit more sleep. 

I'm seeing a Dr. here now as well.  Just before I left, my Dr. called to tell me that my white cell count was really high again.  She put me on antibiotics, and asked that I see someone here to follow up with more bloodwork.  Did that.  Still have the infection!  Rhian is 8 weeks old today - and my incision is still infected.  The good news is that new Dr. called and my white cell count is down, so the infection is getting better.  Now on a topical antibiotic and an oral antibiotic. 

I also took Rhian to a chiropractor.  She really has painful gas attacks and has trouble pooing.  I was doing some google research, and it turns out that many chiropractors deal with infants who have colic.  One chiropractor emailed me when I had some questions and said that there is a saying that Chiropractor's kids don't get colic.  (never heard it myself, but I was surprised to learn that many people use a chiropractor for colicky, gassy babies).  Now, Rhian doesn't have colic, but she can sure get uncomfortable.  So she had a treatment, and I'll let you know if I notice a difference.  She goes back next week.

C'est tout, from here.  I'm being a bad, bad commenter lately - but I'm reading everyone's blogs, and will comment again when I get a chance.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you all made it ok, even the cat. Hope the chiropractor helps. Hope also that the white cell count stays down even when the antibiotics are done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your 1st trip avec baby went so well!

    Here's hoping this will be the end of your infection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edmonton? What a small world that's where I live. I have no idea how I bookmarked your blog, probably someone else's blog which I assume I found on the bump. Welcome to Edmonton!

    ReplyDelete